The Art of the Cheat Meal

Oh, pizza. I’ve forgotten how sinfully delicious you are.

Last night was the first legitimate splurge I’ve had since as long as I can remember. I usually stick to a (mostly) clean diet. Even when I go to restaurants, I’m always scoping out the healthiest meals. But, last night I was really craving some good pizza! Rosati’s came to my rescue. Β It was an awesome way to replenish my glycogen stores (aka carb load) after a 14 mile run yesterday morning! Sure, there are probably much healthier methods of refueling. But, even the craziest of health nuts have their occasional cravings πŸ˜‰

Moderation is everything! I always preach that. You can allow yourself an occasional “cheat” meal and still be healthy! As long as you eat healthy 90% of the time, it’s okay to treat yourself the other 10%. Just don’t go overboard!


The pizza did wonders for my recovery. I’m not nearly as sore as I thought I would be today!

I took a nice 4 mile recovery jog this morning. I brought my phone along with me just for the fun of it so I could snap a few pictures! This is the trail I always talk about.


I never take these recovery runs as seriously as I should, as proven by my mid run selfies. How attractive.

After CxWorx at the gym, I settled down and got some AP homework done. What I’m working on right now is actually pretty interesting (well to me, at least.) I am reading In Defense of Food and just watched a TED talk on the western diet. Both talk about how a lot of the food we eat isn’t actually food, but rather “science experiments”Β made from unnatural ingredients. They also say that our emphasis on the amount of nutrients we get instead of the source we get them from is a cause of our health problems.

It’s interesting to hear some of these opinions on our diet. I’m such a health nerd πŸ™‚ Below is the TED talk that I watched.

After being lectured on the bad diet of Americans, I decided to make a salad with layers of natural goodness (except for the turkey burger, but oh well πŸ™‚ ) Layer one was broccoli, squash, and quinoa.

And layer two was spinach, peppers, blueberries, a turkey burger, and the salsa I bought from yesterday! Salsa on top of salad is a definite yes.
I don’t have much else going on today! I hope everyone has a relaxing day in preparation for the week ahead!

Here’s my workouts from the week.

  • Monday: Off (recovery walk)
  • Tuesday: 6 mile run, BodyPump
  • Wednesday: 6 mile run, 30 min HIIT class, CXWorx
  • Thursday: 8 mile run
  • Friday: BodyPump, CxWorx
  • Saturday: 14 mile run
  • Sunday: 4 mile run, CxWorx

Total Mileage: 38 miles

How about you?

  • What’s your favorite “cheat” food?
  • Do you watch TED talks?
  • Salsa on salad: yes or no?
Advertisements

6 thoughts on “The Art of the Cheat Meal

  1. Salsa on salads is something I have yet to try – but I guess the time will come as I keep hearing positive things about it.
    Cheat meals, however,…not so much. At least I would not call them that, because I’m trying to embrace the concept that there is nothing wrong with “cheat” foods (in moderation). “Cheat” to me screams “guilt” – and that just ruins it for me.
    TED talks are great, but I don’t usually watch them as most of the time I don’t have the patience to watch through the whole 20 minutes. I will give this one a go though because it sounds interesting. =)

    Liked by 1 person

    1. For some reason, calling my splurges cheat meals makes me enjoy them even more. I know, weird. But, I think it’s because it kind of reaffirms the fact that it’s something I only have in moderation, so I don’t feel bad about it. I totally get where you’re coming from, though!

      And the TED talks are all pretty good! I had to watch three of them for my Lang class and they were all entertaining!

      Like

  2. Pizza is soo good. I always eat pizza. haha
    Your running trail looks very pretty πŸ™‚ and good job on that 14 miler, you definitely deserved that pizza.!!
    no salsa on salad for me

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s